Wow! Can you believe we are already heading towards the 2nd quarter of the year! Thankfully, we have the Easter long weekend to ease it in! For many, it will be the first break of the year, a time to slow down and regroup, so come and indulge in Easter explorations in the Mountains.
I remember as a young child how the excitement built up towards Easter Sunday and the promise of the Easter Bunny. Fond memories of white (flour) footprints in the grass, leading all the way around the garden. And then heaps upon heaps of chocolate eggs that led to some serious overindulgence, but it was so worth it. Easter is one of the most celebrated holidays of the year, families spending meaningful time together. It is a time of rebirth and renewal, honestly, it is amazing what those four days can do for the mind, body, and soul. Now imagine waking up to the sight of the most beautiful Drakensberg Mountains. Imagine fresh mountain air, crisp mornings, and the eagerness to get out and explore…
Easter explorations suitable for the whole family:
- Top of the list must be Drakensberg Artisan Chocolate by Chocolate Memories, indulge in some of the finest chocolate the Valley has to offer.
- Drakensberg Canopy Tours, situated in an indigenous forest of the Central Drakensberg, will take your breath away!
- For a more chilled pace, head up to Falcon Ridge Bird of Prey Centre for an amazing display of raptors in action.
- Hot Air Ballooning: Scenic hot air balloon flights with panoramic views stretching from the Amphitheatre in the Northern Drakensberg Giants Castle in the South.
- A firm favourite is the Drakensberg Brewery, offering pure mountain brew!
- Take a hike! The Drakensberg Mountains offer a multitude of scenic hikes to choose from, but if you prefer a short amble, take a walk down to Hippo Pools. It is a pleasant 20-minute walk from our Reception and easy enough for the whole family to enjoy.
- Another great way to experience the Drakensberg is with Scootours. A child-friendly activity where kids can double up with parents.
- For those needing to burn off the excessive chocolate indulgence, bring along your mountain bike. With Cathkin Trails, there is a suitable track for both trail runners and mountain biking enthusiasts. We have a starting point right here at The Nest Hotel.
- Something different perhaps? Yoga with Tania – stretch your body and your mind with this creative flow.
- Saving the best for last; indulge in a treatment or a full body massage at our Revive Spa.
I hope that there is at least one recommendation that entices you to spend some quality time in the mountains. And if your favourite is not on the list, please share your ideas with us. We would love to hear your feedback.
Please stay in touch with us on Facebook and Instagram for specials, news, and upcoming events. If you plan to head off on holiday this Easter, please travel safely. And if you have booked to visit us at The Nest Hotel, we look forward to being your hosts!