If you are anything like me, I try to pack just about everything but the kitchen sink and brush it off with a casual phrase “pack it just in case you need it” …
The car is loaded to the hilt and we all pile out at the other end dragging an endless stream of suitcases! The worst part is returning home and unpacking your bags only to realise you didn’t wear half of what you packed. Does that sound familiar to you?
We would like to share some ideas on how to pack for your summer holiday in the mountains
- Make a list of the activities you plan to take part in – a horse ride in shorts will leave behind some nasty reminders.
- Check the weather forecast before you leave – we know this is not always reliable but knowing if you have a weekend of rain vs a weekend of sunshine makes a big difference.
- Make sure you have fulfilled your prescription medication before you leave and take a copy of your prescription with you.
- Avoid over packing – lay all your clothes out on the bed, check, and then reduce by a third.
- COVID-19 is still here – don’t forget your mask and sanitiser.
- Sun protection is vital – sunscreen, sunglasses, lip balm and a comfy hat.
- Pack a small first aid kit with the essentials – plasters, antiseptic cream, rehydrate, pain relief, antihistamine tablets and cream, diarrhoea and anti-sickness tablets.
- Planning on taking a hike in the mountains? Include a good pair of walking shoes, light breathable clothing, and a rucksack to carry essentials, snacks and water.
- Pack liquids in a sealable plastic bag as they tend to leak when the altitude changes.
- Switch off!! Leave any unnecessary electronic devices at home. There is more than enough activities to choose from in the Drakensberg Mountains to keep you entertained.
It is good to know that we have a number of little shops and convenient stores in the Valley for every day essentials. We hope to have provided some insight and if we have missed anything, please let us know as we value your input.
If you are heading our way this festive season, travel safe and we look forward to welcoming you at The Nest Hotel.